Back Porch Finished

Remember this??????

20130716-171811.jpg

It now looks like this!!!!!!!! TA DA!!!!!!!!!

AFTER:

20131024-103342.jpg

20131024-103350.jpg

20131024-103359.jpg

The porch rail was built by Steven out of leftovers from the front porch boards that we cut down last year.  We have a pile of them!  I really like the pattern. The 4×4 posts were leftover from our fence project from almost 2 years ago.  We only bought the post anchors, the solar caps (which are really neat by the way) and the pocket hole jig to mount it.  Our back rail cost a grand total of….drumroll….$40!  Woot woot! The rail we took down was not the original rail and it was rotted in many places. Instead of trying to match the back porch to the front porch, we decided to update it and give it a more modern deck look.  I love it!

To see the evolution of the back porch, you can click here, after that it looked like this: click here

Advertisements

Goodbye carpet!

We used to wonder why the master bedroom was the only room in the house carpeted. That was until we cut a piece out and looked underneath. It appears that the old, old, old carpet backing was stuck to the hardwood floor. (Maybe 1940ish?). We hemmed and hawed for a while until we just decided that easiest thing would be to replace the carpet. Sure, we could move everything out the room and try for a couple weeks to scrape, sand, and glare this crazy carpet pad off the wood. But, in all honesty…I’m just tired and have way more things to do (like graduate this Spring) so we elected to just replace the carpet. Yesterday, the crew came and took out the horrific carpet (blue! Ugh… Not to mention all the contractors trooped in and out with their muddy shoes through that door while working on the house) and replaced it with a beautiful cafe au lait Stainmaster. It is divine. I think I am prouder of this project than any other to date–andi did nothing but pay for it (oh and breathe down their necks a little…hehe).

I am so pleased! Soon, I’m gonna call the interior done! We are right at 95% complete. Have some trim and ceiling paint to do, but other than that, I finally have a tool free, organized, remodeled, rebuilt,fully functional house!

Anyway…here are the pictures from yesterday.

20131022-234428.jpg

20131022-234442.jpg

20131022-234459.jpg

20131022-234512.jpg

20131022-234535.jpg

20131022-234556.jpg

20131022-234607.jpg

20131022-234613.jpg

I guess I did do one thing….I painted the vents to match the carpet.

20131022-234655.jpg

Update: 2-9-14, I wallpapered the unsightly fireplace cover. I’m not sure what to do with it yet, but until then, it is sporting some really neat looking wallpaper.

20140209-193234.jpg

20140209-193252.jpg