The Great Hall Makeover Part 1

We decided a couple days ago to tackle the floors in our massive hall. After a trip to two home improvement stores plus a tool store, I finally got underway about 1 pm. I really had some ambitious plans today. It didn’t help that the stain color we did the rest of the house in was discontinued…along with the brand of polyurethane that I love. Argh! Lots of reading cans, looking at color samples and deliberating later, I came home with some stuff I think will match pretty well.

Here are the pics from the day. I’ll finish staining the other side tomorrow and maybe poly Monday or Tuesday.

Cleaned all the stuff out the hall.

20130914-191507.jpg

Sanded with a high grit, down to a low grit.

20130914-191600.jpg
Cleaned all the powdery dust. This is the most annoying part. I have to sweep several times, mop, tack cloths, the whole nine yards.

20130914-191846.jpg
All clean

20130914-191934.jpg
Starting the stain…more tomorrow. Time to eat!

20130914-192019.jpg
PS: Right after this pic, I told fuzzy to get off my floor!

20130914-192109.jpg

20130914-192127.jpg

Living Room/Dining Room Floors=Done!

I just put the last coat of poly on the dining room floor. Both rooms are finished! It took longer than I anticipated because I didn’t plan my time very well. But it is finished now!

What we did:

Cleaned the floor and sanded with 80 grit working up to 120 grit. Cleaned the floors with a dust mop, then damp mop, then tack cloth. Stained (Minwax Red Chestnut). Waited. Put on first coat of poly (Minwax fast drying poly for floors). The next weekend we sanded the first coat of poly, applied second coat of poly. Ta-da! I am very happy with it. I really didn’t want to sand in between coats, but it was definitely worth it! The first coat was really rough. It would have been ok as is, but I wanted it to have a furniture quality finish and it last for ten years or more. I sanded and put on the next coat and WOW! I can’t explain how smooth and flawless it looks. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Kitchen:

I am doing finishing work in the kitchen….still…haha. One day I will be finished! I painted the lower cabinets Artisan by Behr, with a top coat of Martha Stewart metallic paint in Cast Bronze. After it dries I will put a top coat of polycrylic and paint the trim dark brown. In two weeks, we will frame up and install the upper cabinets. Steven installed the counters, trim and sink this weekend. What’s left: cabinet installation, hood installation, (hopefully) new dishwasher, finishing paint, handle on laundry room door. When it is done, I will post a 360 video tour. I’m excited! Until then, the in progress pictures are below (after floor pics)

20130526-150747.jpg

20130526-150823.jpg

20130526-150833.jpg

20130526-150846.jpg

20130526-150923.jpg

20130526-150937.jpg

20130526-150957.jpg

20130526-151008.jpg

20130526-151022.jpg

20130526-151034.jpg

<a

20130526-151245.jpg
On a side note: I ordered some dark brown RIT dye to see if I can dye my red tie up shades. The red doesn’t match anymore. We shall see what happens! $2.50 for a 25 pack of dry dye versus $60 for three very cheap looking tie up brown shades or $120 for some better quality ones….hmmm…I will try the $2.50 first. If that doesn’t work….off to the store I go! It’s worth a try! Will post the results here soon whether they be good, bad or really ugly.

In Process: refinishing dining and living room floors

I spent all day running the floor sander….hopefully tomorrow stain and poly. The last pic is from Viv. It’s kind of a joke that she always takes pics of me working.

20130518-214333.jpg

20130518-214354.jpg

20130518-214405.jpg

20130520-003217.jpg

20130520-003236.jpg

20130520-003254.jpg

20130520-003312.jpg

20130520-003326.jpg
***Update 1: I did stain the floors on Sunday and just added them here. Sometime this week I will get to the poly.
***Update 2: first coat of poly. Wow! It’s purty! Sand and a couple more coats and it’s done!

20130521-224820.jpg

20130521-224832.jpg

20130521-224843.jpg

20130521-225956.jpg
PS: I used Minwax Red Chestnut stain and Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane for Floors. This poly dries a whole lot faster than the Cabot poly I used in the study. It also didn’t have as much air bubbles when i brushed it on like the Cabot did.

The Study Evolution

Just finished putting the last coat of poly on the floor. I’ll be able to move in next week. Yay! These are the pictures of the study evolution from the first being the realtor walk through picture and the last one is from today. I will take more pictures after I move in and get everything settled. But, I love before and after pictures and know you do too. Here you go!

pic_2006_1030(031)

Study after paint.  I want new paint though!  What color?  What color?

This is the way it stayed until late last year

20130324-142046.jpg

This is how it looked for the past 5-6 years. The junk/scrapbook room.

20130324-142135.jpg

Bumped out Vivian’s bathroom, removed the fireplace. It didn’t work. All of the chimneys were removed at some point in the past.

20130324-142204.jpg

Recycled 100+ year old wood pieces to make a wood interest wall. Plan to put up shelving to house our book collection.

20130324-142245.jpg

Interest wall stained and polyurethaned

20130324-142322.jpg

Sanding the floors getting ready for stain and poly

20130324-142335.jpg

Started staining to see what the color would look like. Minwax Red Chestnut.

20130324-142346.jpg

20130324-142416.jpg

The color came out pretty good, nice and even

20130324-142428.jpg

Time for poly!

20130324-142437.jpg

Looking pretty good!

20130324-142448.jpg

Tada!

20130324-142453.jpg

This picture shows the biggest difference in the floor. Can’t wait until it dries. I am trying hard not to go in there and touch it.

Now, on to refinish the floors in the rest of the house!  This was the “test” room.