Since we have five more days left of our vacation, Steven decided to continue working on the attic area. He started pulling up plywood so he could get it ready to blow in some insulation. We always thought that the plywood was sitting on rafters or beams, but when he started pulling up plywood, this is what he found:
I was excited about it because it is grooved and fits together pretty well. I started envisioning refinishing it for the loft area we are planning. Steven was not too happy about it because it meant he would have to take it up (or at least some of it) to be able to blow in the insulation. In fact, this discovery threw a huge kink in his plan and he was not happy about it at all. He is green (anyone who who has taken the Colors Communication Assessment knows what I am talking about) and he does not like his carefully calculated plans to get kinked up. We will probably take most of the plywood up to make sure all of the electrical is ran properly and up to code. When this house was built, it did not have electricity. We found gas lines, so the first owner must have had gas lamps. You can see where the knob and pole wiring was retrofit in the ceiling. It appears that our wiring has been updated and the knob and pole wiring is no longer used, but we just want to make 100% sure before moving on. It would be awful if we had to go back and pull up flooring again in the future due to electrical issues.
The really funny part about pulling up the plywood was to find this:
What were they thinking? It appears that an attic fan was removed from this area and also that electrical wiring was retrofit. Instead of sistering some beams (or some other proper and efficient method of leveling the floor), they decided to stack together pieces and parts of wood in order to make the floor semi level and then to nail a piece of plywood on top of it. Sigh……
For some of the other “nice” jobs done to the attic, click here Not only will you be able to see the lovely sheetrock job, but also a drop in ceiling which the PO must have installed blindfolded. I laugh when I write anything about a PO…it makes me wonder if in 20 years or so, someone else will be writing a blog about me and all the horrible house blunders I made. 🙂 Anyway, we completely removed the drop in ceiling. It is not a great improvement, but an improvement nonetheless. This kind of thing makes me excited! It means progress. Steven is more of the demo man and I am the cleaner upper, detailer/finisher. I usually let him do the demo and rough in work and I come back in, fill in holes, sand, scrape, paint, etc.
Here is the color scheme I would like to use for this space once we get it all done…you know, about five years from now! I want this space to be sophisticated. These are all Valspar Signature colors by Martha Stewart. I picked them up at Lowes today.
I am thinking the lime green for the walls, maybe the dark slate blue for an accent wall. Dark brown furniture. The throw pillows and accessories would be the middle three colors: red, light blue and gray.
Here are a few pictures my daughter took. Here is the remodel of the upstairs through the eyes of a four year old:
Happy Monday everyone!